hon·or 1. Principled uprightness of character; personal integrity. 2. A code of integrity, dignity, and pride, chiefly among men, that was maintained in some societies, as in feudal Europe, by force of arms.
The last couple of days have been spent putting up post anywhere I could. From Blackplanet to Migente, Craigslist, and Downelink.com. My goal, my mission is to have a network of butch homies of colour. Who have no beef with each other and can call each other in crisis. Either personal, physical or emotional. Just pick up the phone (or hit up the email) and they got you. No backstabbing, no bullshit just Love na mean?
What do we have to establish in order get this done. First and foremost trust. But how does one build trust ? In my experience, the reasons why I trusted someone was because I believed that the person obeyed the same honor code I did. In doing that we had the same rules of engagement. Thus for the butch caucus, there needs to be an honor code. Rules, theories by which to abide so that we can establish the one thing that will move us forward T-R-U-S-T.
One of the men that held my respect in the game, in the hood was Tupac and in 1992 at the Truce Picnic he and Mtulu Shakur along with some other OG's helped write up the Code of Thug Life. I'm going to consider this and a couple other examples before coming up with something solid. For y'all who have never seen the Code of the Thug life. Here it is.
Code of THUG LIFE:
1. All new Jacks to the game must know: a) He’s going to get rich. b) He’s going to jail. c) He’s going to die.
2. Crew Leaders: You are responsible for legal/financial payment commitments to crew members; your word must be your bond.
3. One crew’s rat is every crew’s rat. Rats are now like a disease; sooner or later we all get it; and they should too.
4. Crew leader and posse should select a diplomat, and should work ways to settle disputes. In unity, there is strength!
5. Car jacking in our Hood is against the Code.
6. Slinging to children is against the Code.
7. Having children slinging is against the Code.
8. No slinging in schools.
9. Since the rat Nicky Barnes opened his mouth; ratting has become accepted by some. We’re not having it.
10. Snitches is outta here.
11. The Boys in Blue don’t run nothing; we do. Control the Hood, and make it safe for squares.
12. No slinging to pregnant Sisters. That’s baby killing; that’s genocide!
13. Know your target, who’s the real enemy.
14. Civilians are not a target and should be spared.
15. Harm to children will not be forgiven.
16. Attacking someone’s home where their family is known to reside, must be altered or checked.
17. Senseless brutality and rape must stop.
18. Our old folks must not be abused.
19. Respect our Sisters. Respect our Brothers.
20. Sisters in the Life must be respected if they respect themselves.
21. Military disputes concerning business areas within the community must be handled professionally and not on the block.
22. No shooting at parties.
23. Concerts and parties are neutral territories; no shooting!
24. Know the Code; it’s for everyone.
25. Be a real ruff neck. Be down with the code of the Thug Life.
26. Protect yourself at all times..
Some other Interpretations:
Thug Life means - The Hate U Gave Lil' Infants Fucks Everyone.
NIGGA means - Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished.
OUTLAW stands for 'Operating Under Thug Laws As Warriors'
MOB stands for Member Of Bloods and /or Money Over Bitches
I hope folks post comments to this blog in particular cause I think that the butches in the caucus should have a say in the "code". What I'm trying to establish is a way for us to have an understanding of each other and code for how we treat each other regardless of situation or circumstance. I'm also looking at some native examples for rules of engagement between tribes. I'll keep ya posted.